Friday, July 12, 2013

New Challenge

As if just walking and trying to eat healthier for myself isn't hard enough for me to do, I'm now faced with another challenge. This one involves my kids.

For those that don't know, I took Cody to a doctor this week to start the process of testing him for ADHD. He was super nice and asked lots of questions, Cody even answered some. He was nervous though. I had Emma crawling all over my lap which helped me hide my nervousness. SO when they dr mentioned MEDICATION, that's when I became super nervous. I'm not totally for meds (unless absolutely necessary) and he gave me that classic dr answer "these meds have over 20 years of being FDA approved as apposed to the only a few years of trying natural way to treat ADHD." My mom has done her research with books and online and has helped me find natural ways to treat ADHD. Honestly, it's all been overwhelming. SO much info to learn and read and to add to our lifestyle......

I'm not gonna lie, I was an emotional mess leaving there. Some may ask WHY?! Ummm, this is my BABY.  The dr mentioned tests....an EEG and an EKG.  I know now (after freaking out and calling the office 2 hours later to ask more questions) that the tests are nothing to worry about. The EEG can actually help find brain waves that show ADHD.

Again, not gonna lie, I'm STILL super emotional about this. We all want our kids healthy and have no problems, but that's in a perfect world. HA, I'm definitely not living in one of those. So I'm putting my trust in God and hoping I can get this all figured out.

SO my new challenge.....

Because I don't want to do meds, I'm trying some natural ways to help Cody. I'm starting SIMPLE. (at least I thought simple...lol)

My mom found some orange flavor fish oil. Yes.....orange flavor. My kids actually like it SO THAT is a blessing!! They take that every morning with their multivitamins and their probiotic, which we've already been taking those for the past year or so.

Another change is NO ARTIFICIAL DYES.  Like Red 10, Blue 1, Yellow 5.....and so on. I went to Walmart today to find some snacks for the kids to eat and OH MY....
I don't normally read labels. I look at Calories but that's the extent of it. A lot of their fav snacks....no more. It's amazing how many juices and cereal, and yogurt have those food colorings in them. And I thought it would be simple.....WRONG. It was hard saying NO to GOGURTS! Those are Cody's favorites :(

So now I'm going to be "THAT MOM" that is particular about what her kids eat. I'm not going to let my kids have food at birthday/school parties, the in laws, or anywhere else that I know has those dyes in them. I'm going to be picky. My kids will probably cry and be upset, but I want them HEALTHY!

HONESTLY....should I be so picky? Should I let it slide a couple times or should I put my foot down and say no? I hate the thought of making other people watch what they feed my kid, when I know it's stressful for myself. I know I deal with food allergies with my friend's kids and kids at school so this is no different, right? As long as I just bring my own food for them....so then I'll look like their food is not good enough.......

I'M TOTALLY WORRYING TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS, RIGHT?!
Just put me out of my misery and tell me already....I can take it.

2 comments:

  1. FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!!

    BUT, if you want an opinion, :o) I will say that I wouldn't go cold turkey all at once, such as kids' parties and other social venues. Start at home with all of the good healthy choices. In time you will find that they won't want the 'bad' food when they are out either. I believe that if you all of a sudden say NO! you'll have a rebellion and/or worse they will do it when your not looking more out of spite, than desire. Does that make sense?

    Zac won't eat the yogurts at school. I get the horizon yogurt tubes, which has no dyes, but I just looked and it does have the carrageenan. Uugh. You think your doing a good thing and then something else pops up. I guess we will be buying a cow and making our own yogurt! Ha!

    We need to chat! I hope all this rambling makes a little bit of sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally makes sense! I appreciate any advice I can get.
      Cody asked me the other morning if his toast with blueberry was healthy lol So he understands and I've talked to him about why we are not eating certain foods now. I think he sorta understands, but M&Ms!!!!! :( No more....they were a fav every once in a while snack lol

      But I'm trying to go without dyes for a week to see if I see a change in Cody. And then add one or two back in to see if anything shows. I'm hoping I can get this figured out.

      And yes, we do need to chat/hang out soon!

      Delete